Monday, March 18, 2013

This was such an experience that I will never forget


This was such an experience that I will never forget. I have gotten closer to God and this amazing church group through the crazy airports, volunteer projects, endless card game, and services to Anchorage. Every morning from Tuesday to Thursday I helped lead a 4year old to 7 year old class in vbs at the Anchorage boys and girls club. Some of the children were hesitant at first, but after getting to know each one of them, they grew to love our group of 5 that was assigned there. By Thursday 5 children in my class accepted Christ and became Christians. Many others were given their first bibles that they excitedly opened and shared with their families. I was able to see God truly work through us and into these children. Wednesday, I was able to share God's love with children from ages 4 to 17 at Chester park. I was told stories about how churches had been rude to a boy who lived there and how it affected his idea of Christianity. I was able to show him how God's plan has so much more to offer him. God allowed him to be truly accepting and understanding of my faith and Christianity after speaking. I gave a bracelet to a young girl that represented a Christian's walk with Christ through colored beads that she adored and shared with all of her friends. The happy and welcoming attitude of the children at this park was more than enough for us to beg to change our plans and come back the next day to these children. I never would have imagined how fast I could become attached to so many individuals at such a high personal and spiritual level so quickly. On our last day, we held a carnival for the children at the boys and girls club. About 100 boys and girls of all ages came. We encouraged the boys and girls to recite a bible verse from memory for a big sticker if they could. Being from east Texas, I mistakenly  assumed most all children knew one verse or at least knew who Christ was. After talking to each child that came to me for face painting, I had them memorize and understand John 3:16. I could really tell they strived for a true love, and I felt that God had placed them all there to hear how much he loved each one of them through his word. If it was up to me, I would never leave Alaska or the children at the boys and girls club and chester park, but I know how God worked though all of us on this trip and that he has such a larger plan for all of us and the children we all adored this week. We have grown closer all together and more connected to Christ through this journey. I have learned more about myself and my creator's power. I want to thank everyone who gave to this mission because I know that this was an experience that touched so many lives and expanded the kingdom of heaven. Please pray for the people of Alaska and that God continues to bless them.

- Kelsey Long

No comments:

Post a Comment