Monday, March 18, 2013

As I am back home

As I am back home, in my own bed & home and normal clothes & car and all the things I take for granted, I am reflecting back on our time in Alaska. We met so many people who do not have any of these things. No home or bed, no gloves or hats for cold weather, no transportation or money for it. What I saw in the people of Alaska was sadness, discouragement, anger & depression. They are mostly a people who are very unhappy & unfriendly. The numbers of un-churched, un-reached lost people are staggering.
But as we worked at the Boys & Girls Club and the largest food bank in Anchorage, as we handed out free coffee & muffins at the bus stop, we noticed over a period of time that if we worked with a smile and love and joy, they softened a little. They opened up a little and shared with us, or expressed thankfulness for our work and generosity. They want to have hope, they want to have love and be loved, but they are very skeptical and cautious to whom they open up to.
My prayer for these people that we got to meet and share time with and share the love of God with is that the seeds we planted while we were there begin to take root. That there will be those that come after us that will water these seedlings. That something we said or did will stay with them and that they will begin to search out the source of what we shared with them this past week, Christ's love and compassion.
I am very thankful to all of those who prayed for us as we traveled and as we ministered. I ask that you continue to pray for the people of Alaska and GraceWorks as they share the love of Christ.


Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment